Thursday, August 6, 2015

Tips on Getting Motivated with Your Health & Fitness

How do you find the motivation to exercise when you just don’t feel like it?  We all have those days where the motivation is just not there. It is really important to keep motivated to reach your goals everyday and the way to do that is to know WHY it is important to you. 

I have a couple other ways to stay motivated below. One very important one is to find an accountability partner. Find someone that you can workout with that will hold you to your goals. 

Another thing I do is to log my workouts- I write down in my planner what workout I did. This way I can look back and see how many times I exercised the last week. I also read books for motivation,  and I reward myself when I reach a goal. It is so important to surround yourself with positive people who are supporting your goal. I like to read blogs from others who are trying to eat clean and lose weight.





So here are some ways to stay motivated below:

1. How you feel after a workout. I always feel great after a good workout. It’s a high. And I let that motivate me the next time:  I am always pumped for the rest of the day and proud that I did something great for myself and setting that example for my family.

2. Time for you. While many people make time to take care of others (kids, spouse, other family, co-workers, boss), they don’t often make time to take care of themselves. Instead, make your “YOU” time a priority, and don’t miss that exercise appointment. 

3. Having fun. Exercise should be fun. If it isn’t, try a different kind of activity that you enjoy. As long as you’re moving, it’s good for you. Don’t feel pressured into doing a certain type of exercise, do what’s right for you and most importantly do what you will stick with. You have to LOVE your workout routine, otherwise it feels like a chore. Exercise shouldn’t feel like a chore it should feel like a reward. And change up your routine so you don't get bored.

4. How you’re going to look. Imagine a healthier, fitter you. Now let that visualization drive you. Another suggestion is to create a dream/inspiration board. Cut out pictures that are motivating to you and put on a poster board and keep in a place that you will be reminded of every day!

5. Blogs. I enjoy reading blogs about people who are into running, or losing weight. It can show the ups and downs they go through, and you can learn from their experiences and create your own experiences. You can even create your own blog to show your journey if you wish.


6. Success stories. I find the success stories of others incredibly inspirational.

7. Rewards. If you reach a goal- give yourself a reward.  Do it often in the beginning. Don’t make it food! I bought myself a new outfit and allowed myself to purchase another exercise program!

8. Fitting into new clothes. Or even just having some of your clothes not as tight is a great start!

9. Being attractive. That’s always a good motivator, as I’m sure we all know.
10. Adrenaline rush. I get a rush when I exercise. Ride that rush to complete the workout.
11. Stress relief. Wound up after a long day at the office? Get out and work off that stress. It makes a world of difference. I know its hard to get yourself to that point but that’s where your accountability partner comes into play. Keep each other in check even when you have a long day!

12. A workout partner. The  support groups on facebook have been the best way for me to accountable.

13. A coach or trainer. Worth the money, just for the motivation. How about FREE, I am a Beachbody Coach and I help motivate people to reach their health and fitness goals. I can also help you with meal planning and staying accountable to your workout plan. 
  
14. Your before picture. You often don’t realize how far you’ve come. Take pictures. I have taken pictures and I hide them on my computer so no one can find them. I always take pictures in a sports bra and shorts and then some with form fitting clothes on. That way you can eventually share some pictures!
 
15. A 5K race or triathlon. Just sign up for one, and you’ll be motivated to train.
16. The dread of feeling “yuck” from not exercising. I hate how I feel after not exercising. So I remind myself of that when I feel tired.
17. Living long enough to see your grandkids … and play with them.
18. Your measurment. It’s not motivating to weigh yourself every day, as your weight fluctuates. But if you weigh yourself once a week, you’ll be motivated to have it keep going down, instead of up. Combine the scale with the measuring tape, and measure your waist.
19. Reaching a goal. Set a goal for weight, or your waist measurement, or a number of days to work out, or a number of miles to run this week. Setting and tracking a goal helps motivate you to complete that goal. Make it easily achievable.
20. Posting it on your facebook page, blog, or other social site. Tell people you’re going to lose weight or exercise daily, and report to them. You’ll make it happen. This is a great way to be motivated and accountable.
21. Motivational quotes. I like to print them out or put them on my computer desktop. You can always take what I’ve posted, print it out or re-post it!
 
22. Others commenting on how good you look. When someone notices the changes in your body, it feels good. And it makes you want to work out more.

23. An upcoming day at the beach, wedding, or a reunion
Other motivational group that I Coach:


Having a plan is very important, and your plan will change at times. Know your goals. Know WHY your health and fitness is important to you. And let that drive you to where you want to feel good and happy.


What are your motivations? Let me know in the comments

Thanks for checking in,

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment